September 14, 2011

Beer-braised beans


Last night I made another beer-related dish that I thought I'd share with everyone. It is extremely easy, but preserves the flavor of the beer quite well!

This recipe for braised pinto beans is ridiculously simple, which really allows the beer to come through in the final product. I made the beans using my pressure cooker, but canned would do fine as well.

1 quart cooked pinto beans
8 oz Belgian Dubbel (a fruitier yeast, like Belgian Abbey II, works great)
1.5 tsp salt
2 tbs brown sugar

Dump it all into a pot and simmer the liquid down on low heat until the mixture is reduced by half and the beans are fairly thick.

And that's it. The sugar helps balance out the small amount of bitterness from the hops, and the yeast-derived flavors survive quite well, which give the whole dish the characteristic Belgian Abbey beer impression. Wish I had some pictures, but I ate it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment