June 23, 2010

Pretty fly for a Weiss guy

... or "Everything I needed to know about open fermentation I learned from NB Milwaukee."
"... open fermentation should only be considered in the brewing of fast-matured and quickly bottled ales ..."
- The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing, 2nd Edition

Yeah! What Charlie said.

An open-fermented mild ale I brewed this spring has already been chronicled in this blog. And Brewing TV has the goods on my open-fermented Weissbier with Wyeast 3068. Which brings me around to writing down some experiential gleanings (otherwise I might forget - that's why it's nice to have this blog).

  1. Don't relax, worry, sanitize that stuff. RDWHAHB later, after your fruity, estery, non-contaminated open-fermented ale is packaged.
  2. Probably shouldn't ferment a lager or a barley wine this way. Brew a fast-matured, quickly bottled (or kegged) ale. 
  3. Don't go on vacation during open fermentation (hey, that one even rhymes ...). Pitch yeast on Friday night, rack it to a closed fermenter on Monday after work. 
Next up: a topless Patersbier. Care to join?

    2 comments:

    1. NB Milwaukee is up for a topless Patersbier! We're whipping up 20 gallons of wort so that 15 gallons can be fermented open in our fish gutter and 5 gallons fermented closed in a carboy. Huzzah!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I'd like to do the side-by-side patersbier experiment, but I'm heading out to California next week and have a kitchen to finish.

      ReplyDelete